Principal Cheryl McCallum Resigns

Sweet Sorrow

“Parting is such sweet sorrow” wrote Shakespeare and he obviously understood some of the conflicting emotions we feel when a season of our life is coming to an end and a parting is taking place from what we hold dear. Tabor/Eastern has been part of my life for so long it is hard for me to comprehend that in a few months I will no longer be part of the learning community that has meant so much to me.

I will miss the students, the staff, the camaraderie, the challenges, the triumphs, the joy, the laughter, the discovery of learning, the classroom and the teaching. I will sorrow to not be there when the new students arrive, to greet the continuing students and to celebrate at graduation with those who have completed their awards. To be honest, the only thing I will not miss is the marking. 😉

As someone who always likes to know what lies ahead and to plan accordingly, I am always disconcerted when God does not act in harmony with my need for control. So, it is unsettling to not know where I will be in 2018 and what I will be doing. I think God delights in always bringing me back to a position of faith and vulnerability to remind me that He is the one who holds my future in His hands.

My prayer will always be for the growth and flourishing of Eastern College. I am satisfied with the contribution I have made to the college and I believe its best years are still to come.
I leave knowing this is the right timing but nonetheless it will be a parting of “sweet sorrow”.

Dr Cheryl McCallum
Principal of Eastern College Australia