Get to know Aaron Garth: Youth Studies Coordinator

Tell us a little about yourself…
I am a husband to an awesome woman. A father to five little characters (four girls and one boy). I am a high school dropout and first in my family to go to university.  I hold a B. Soc. Sci (Youth Work) and a Master of Social Work as well as a few minor qualifications. I have worked over the past 14 years in the youth and social services field and for the past two years I have coordinated the Youth Studies discipline at Eastern College Australia.

What’s your church background and involvement?
I started going to a Baptist church in my youth and now attend an Anglican missional Community in Melbourne’s Outer Northern Suburbs

What are your hobbies?
When I get to them (I have five kids remember) I love to work on cars and play guitar.

What are you passionate about in today’s Christian context?
 As a Church we are desperately in need of people who are willing to step out of their comfort zone and meet the least, the last and the lost in their context. My passion is training those people to meet young people in their schools, their homes, on the streets etc. As a Church we currently have very little contact with the young people who really need us, I want to change that.

What is your hope for Eastern College Students?
That they will see the gap before them and work out the best way they can fill it. We need you to make Church relevant to a community that doesn’t see that any more.

Aaron is the Youth Studies Coordinator at Eastern College Australia
Discover his courses here: 
Bachelor of Arts in (Youth Work)
Graduate Diploma in Arts (Youth Work)
YITS
Youth Studies can also be taken as Bachelor studies in Theology, Ministry, Mission or Biblical studies.