Discerning My Calling: Sheron Ng

Bachelor of Theology graduate, Sheron Ng reflects on the important part Eastern College played in helping her discern her calling.

“I work at OMF International creating mobilisation materials and media resources for our ministries and missionaries both here and in Asia. Through my work, I tell stories of how God is working in the lives of unreached people groups throughout East Asia, encouraging Christians in Australia to get involved. However, this is nothing like what I planned to do. I went to (Eastern) thinking I would come out as a Christian minister, working in a church, maybe doing kid’s ministry; but halfway through, I was really challenged by God’s heart for mission. I hadn’t previously realised how clear that was in the Bible, and it made me change my degree from a ministry stream to a missions’ stream.

Tabor2015-041

It was quite an emotional time for me because of the change I was going through. My worldview was being reshaped and I couldn’t quite articulate it. I was driving home from class in tears one day, and I remember it being really dark on the freeway and thinking how dangerous it was that I couldn’t see through my tears. I remember praying, “God, I love this so much, I love what you’re speaking to me about, but it’s heartbreaking because I don’t want to leave my comfort zone, I don’t want to have to give up my career, give up my passions, give up my friends and family back home and go overseas. But I can see your heart for the lost, those who have never heard of Christ before.” In that moment I knew that I couldn’t turn back. I was being challenged at school in what I was reading and studying in the Bible, and looking at it through a different lens was very transformational.
Even though I’m not physically overseas, I would never have applied for my current role if God hadn’t led me here through applying for long-term mission work. I remember really struggling when I first felt God calling me. I said to him, “I’m not going, there’s just no way”, so I refused to seek him for clarity. Whenever I went to church, whenever I opened my Bible, or sang songs of worship, there were always tears. God even spoke through lectures on completely different subjects and topics. I had one teacher who prophesied something very specific about me, and I asked her how she knew. She looked at me and told me she prayed for her all students regularly and it was something God had impressed on her heart. After a while, I couldn’t ignore it any longer. As soon as I obeyed, turned around, and said to God, “I’ll do whatever you want me to do” and gave it all to him, I had peace in my heart and I didn’t have to struggle anymore.

I think that if I had studied at a regular University I wouldn’t have been so in tune with what God wanted me to do. I would have been chasing after my own passions, my own dreams, and for my own sake. But being in a tertiary environment with other Christians and lecturers who really cared about how we were living our lives for the kingdom really helped me to look to him and seek his help for guidance and not just do things my own way.”